Winter Arts Festival : Outdoor Painting & Photography
In Hibernation until further notice
The Winter Arts Festival is in hibernation for 2015. Please continue to check back for future details about the event.
Experience the glory of winter in Northern Minnesota where the sparkling winterscape is mesmerizing. The Winter Arts Festival is dedicated to rousing artists to dress warm and discover the joy of winter.
Share the story of winter, celebrate the color of white and delve deeper into the creative spirit. There are many ways to be involved in this fun and interactive festival. Be a participant or observer…just dress warm.
Exhibit & Sale
An exhibit & sale of the freshly painted works will be on display at the Grand Marais Art Colony.
2014 information below.
Partipate: January 27 - 31, 2014
Artists can stay at the YMCA Camp Menogyn
located 40 miles up the Gunflint Trail on West Bearskin Lake. Menogyn offers cozy bunkstyle accomodations as well as an inspirational location. Meals are included and there is unlimited coffee and hot chocolate.
- Check in Monday, January 27 between 2-5pm
- Check out Friday, January 31 after breakfast (about 9am)
- To participate in the exhibit artwork must be submitted by 11am Friday, January 31
- Cost: $225 (includes 4 nights lodging, meals, & fees)
** Intersted in participating in the exhibit but cannot get away to Menogyn? No problem! Members can submit work to the exhibit for FREE and nonmembers can submit work for $25. The only catch, work must be created between the dates of January 27-31, 2014 outdoors and be ready to exhibit by 11am on Friday, January 31. If you are intersted in participating please contact Kjersti at email@example.com.
Exhibit: Jan. 31 - Feb. 28, 2014
This year we will be hosting an exhibit of the Festival paintings at the Grand Marais Art Colony, as part of the Winter Tracks Festival
An opening reception is scheduled for Friday, Jan. 31. (view artwork from the 2013 exhibit here)
This year’s Winter Plein Air Painting Festival will be occurring concurrently with other local events:
Winter Arts Festival Snow Carving Symposium: February 7-9, 2014
The Grand Marais Art Colony and the Cook County Visitors Bureau host this fun creative event as artists transform blocks of snow into imaginitive carvings. Carving will occur from Feb. 2-6.
Winter Tracks Festival | January 31-February 9, 2014
A two week outdoor activity-driven celebration of winter. Activities include guided snowshoe tours, dog sled rides, candlelight skiing, sleigh rides & more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Directions to Menogyn & Packing List
WPA Info Packet
Snow Carver APPLICATION
- Lutsen Family Festival: A family-fun weekend at Lutsen Mountains. The Midwest’s largest ski resort with 92 runs, four mountains & 986’ of vertical.
- Ridge Riders Snowmobile Fun Race: A race for fun across our nearly 300 miles of groomed snowmobile trails
- Snowarama: A snowmobile ride to raise money for kids with physical disabilities.
- Volks Ski 400: One day, 400km of groomed cross-country ski trails and an attempt to ski them all. (The largest groomed trail system in North America)